Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Butternut Squash Bisque

I love seeing all of the different types of squash and fall vegetables in the produce section this time of year. I picked up a butternut squash recently, and roasted half of it for a side dish for dinner. I wanted to do something different with the other half of the squash, so luckily I found a delicious looking recipe for butternut squash bisque on a food board that I frequent. Unfortunately I no longer remember whose blog this recipe was originally posted on, but I need to give them all the credit for this recipe! It was a delicious taste of fall.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups vegetable stock (I used chicken broth)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
ground nutmeg to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions

1. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
2. Add the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock and add all seasonings/spices. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.


3. In a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Heat through but do not boil. Serve warm with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Enjoy!

No comments: