6 tbsp. butter, divided
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
4 cups small broccoli florets
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
4 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stock pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes, then add the carrots and cook about 3 minutes more. Add the broccoli, broth, onion salt, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer.
- In a smaller sauce pan, melt the rest of the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 2 minutes until golden brown. Whisk the milk in and cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thicker and bubbles.
- Whisk in the cheese until it is totally melted.
- Add cheese sauce to the soup pot and let soup simmer until completely warmed through and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Optional: use immersion blender to puree the soup to desired consistency.
Recipe originally from Annie's Eats.